Does your face look extra shiny, and your foundation doesn’t last past lunchtime? Then you most likely have an oily skin type.
Oily skin can be hard to care for, and we know it can be tricky to get the right balance between keeping your skin moisturised and making it look extra shiny. Products that are too heavy can make the skin look greasy, while products that are too lightweight may not be hydrating enough.
At its core, oily skin is the result of increased sebum production, which can lead to clogged and enlarged pores. There are various factors that could be causing this and contributing to your oily skin: your hormones and genetics play a big part, as does your diet. What’s more, dehydration can also be causing your skin to be oily if it leads to excessive sebum production.
On the plus side, oily skin tends to age slowly in comparison to dry skin so it can actually keep you looking younger! The oil keeps the skin nourished, moisturised and lubricated which can help to prevent wrinkles and fine lines. So it’s not all bad! And while oily skin can be difficult to care for, finding the right natural skincare routine for oily skin can be life-changing.
What to do if you have oily skin
Turns out, what you put in your body is just as important as what you put on it when it comes to taking care of your skin. Eating a healthy diet high in antioxidants as well as using natural skincare that’s rich in superfoods and antioxidants can help manage your oily skin.
Lowering your stress levels can also help. Find a daily practise that helps you relax, like yoga, daily exercise or going on a long walk. Try introducing some calming aromatherapy blends into your routine to help relax your body and your mind too.
To help you find the right skincare products for oily skin, we’ve put together the best morning and evening skincare routines featuring all-natural and skin-loving skincare and makeup products.
Your morning skincare routine for oily skin
1. CleanseFirst things first: cleanse your skin every morning! Why is cleansing important? It unclogs pores and removes excess oil from your skin - and using a gentle face wash will do so without stripping the surface of your skin. One of the best products for oily skin is a good cleanser. The Purify-ME Gentle Cleanser is super-charged with our very special WildBerry Harvest™ concentrate for maximum hydration, and gently purifies and soothes the skin.
2. ToneWake up your skin and shrink down pores with a cooling spritz of toner as part of your skincare routine. Plus, a toner will prepare your skin for the rest of your skincare routine, helping it absorb the super good ingredients you’ll be giving it. Try the Balance-ME Hydrating Mist Toner to help restore balance in the skin. This toner is suitable for oily skin and is infused with superfoods like Witch Hazel and Green Tea to control oil in skin. It will also give your skin an extra dose of WildBerry Harvest™ concentrate to keep your skin super hydrated.
3. HydrateIt’s a common misconception that oily skin doesn’t need to be moisturised. The truth is, dehydrated skin can lead to your skin overcompensating and producing excess sebum, which can make your skin look and feel oily, especially across your T-zone. Even for oily skin, it’s a must to keep hydration high! However, if you have oily skin, try to steer clear of rich day creams - lightweight face creams are the best moisturisers for oily skin. Reach for a lightweight product like the Activate-ME Face Moisturiser. Its creamy consistency melts into your skin without feeling heavy, and it’s supercharged with the natural goodness of Coconut Water to hydrate without being too greasy.
4. PrimeA primer is THE essential makeup product for oily skin if you want flawless makeup that stays put all day. Primers add a barrier between your skin and your foundation, making sure that the natural oils on your face don’t melt away your makeup so your foundation can stay put all day long. It helps to mattify, reduces shine and gives makeup the grip it needs to last all day. One of the best primers for oily skin is the Wildberry Boost Hydrating Primer. Packed full of natural ingredients like Coconut Water, WildBerry Harvest™ and Rosehip Oil for an extra nutrient boost, it helps skin heal and create the perfect base for your makeup.
5. Wear SPFWhatever your skin type, SPF is absolutely essential to protect your skin from signs of aging and UV damage. Our From The Earth Mineral Loose Powder with SPF 20 will help protect your skin from harmful rays. It’s a face powder with SPF that’s infused with Coconut, Goji Berry, Cranberry and Kaolin Clay to refine the texture and appearance of skin.
Your night skincare routine for oily skin
1. CleanseCleansing in the evening helps remove all traces of makeup, pollution and dirt that may have accumulated during the day. For the best skincare routine, we always recommend double-cleansing - but that’s even more true for oily skin types, since they tend to produce more oils which can trap bacteria that inflame the skin or cause breakouts. To double cleanse, start with the Remove-ME Micellar Cleansing Water to thoroughly remove your makeup and follow with your Purify-ME Gentle Cleanser to remove excess oils without stripping the skin.
2. TreatNow that your skin is fresh and clean, go in with a targeted serum for oily skin. For oily skin, we recommend opting for an exfoliating serum like the Light Beam Radiance Serum. It naturally exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin thanks to its Alpha Hydroxy Acid formula. Supercharged with clinically proven natural fruit acids, it gently exfoliates to reveal renewed, glowing skin.
3. HydrateWe’ll say it again for the people in the back: oily skin needs to be moisturised just as much as other skin types! There’s no need for a super rich night cream. Simply add another layer of the lightweight Activate-ME Face Moisturiser that you apply in the morning, and you’re good to go.
4. Nourish the eye areaLastly, take special care of the delicate skin around the eyes with a nourishing eye cream like the Super Hydrate-ME Eye Cream. This lightweight hydrating formula is packed with nourishing ingredients like Avocado Oil and Kakadu Plum to help brighten the delicate skin around the eye, promote skin renewal and slow the signs of ageing.
Upgrade your oily skin skincare routine nowGive your skin all of the TLC it deserves with organic, skin-loving products suitable for your skin type. For natural ways to treat oily skin, shop RAWW’s natural skincare online today and discover 100% cruelty-free, superfood-infused skincare to use as part of your daily skincare routine.